1. When should pork knuckles & ginger stew be prepared?
One month before childbirth. If you do it too late, the sweetened vinegar may not be infused in the ginger completely.
2. When should pork knuckles & ginger stew be distributed to family and friends?
The tradition is to distribute during the period of the 12th to 30th day after childbirth.
3. When can mothers start pork knuckles & ginger stew?
Mothers who go through natural childbirth can start ginger stew one week after childbirth. Ginger stew helps discharge the lochia retained within the uterus. Mothers, who deliver baby via caesarean section, can start ginger stew after the wound is healed (about two weeks after childbirth).
* Do not start ginger stew if there is an excessive flow of lochia.
4. Are pork knuckles & ginger stew only for new mothers?
Absolutely not. Pork knuckles & ginger stew is suitable for people of different ages. It improves blood circulation, bone and joints, restore calcium level and rejuvenate skin.
5. What kind of cookware should be used for cooking ginger stew?
Pork knuckles & ginger stew is best cooked in clay, stainless steel or glass pots. Aluminum or copper utensils should be avoided, as they may react with the vinegar during cooking and could be harmful or affect the flavor of ginger stew.
6. What are the nutritional values of pork knuckles & ginger stew?
It helps with blood circulation, warms the body and removes the “wind” in the body.
Sweetened Vinegar - helps release the calcium from pork knuckles to aid absorption by the body.
Black Rice Vinegar - stimulates blood circulation and body recovery.
PorkKnuckles - contains high level of calcium and collagen. It also encourages production of breast milk.
Ginger - contains high levels of vitamin C, and is widely believed to expel the "wind" that normally builds up at childbirth, and helps blood circulation.
Eggs - are full of protein, minerals and vitamins. It promotes cell growth.
7. What other dishes can be made with sweentened vinegar?
Sweet and sour chicken or spareribs, and it is also delicious as a salad dressing.